ExPaNDS kick-off meeting, 11-12 September 23019, Hamburg
Indico agenda: https://indico.desy.de/indico/event/23649/
Project Overview (Knut Sander, DESY, Project Coordinator):
The overall goal of the project is to contribute to make the P&N data produced by the different facilities Open and FAIR and improve the ability to perform computing science following the FAIR principles. Datasets produced will be accessible through EOSC and offered to a wider range of scientific communities.
Three main working areas have been identified:
- Enabling FAIR data at P&N infrastructure (WP2)
- Data catalogue services (WP3)
- Data Analysis services (WP4)
The work of these areas will be complemented by Training (WP5) and Outreach (WP6) activities.
Work Package Leaders: WP1 : Patrick Furhann (DESY), WP2 : Brian Matthews (UKRI), WP3 : Alun Ashton (PSI) WP4 : Anton Barty (DESY), WP5 : Nazarè Guiviard (Soleil), WP6 : Isabelle Boscaro (DLS)
PO : Christian Cuciniello (EU)
The ExPaNDS project will try to:
- work closely with the PaNOSC sister project,
- establish collaboration with other INFRAEOSC-05(b) projects, and
- look at the EOSC services to make them available to the scientific communities.
Collaboration with the PaNOSC sister project already started to avoid fragmentation and overlap.
INFRAEOSC-05 projects are playing a role for supporting the Governance and boosting FAIR principles in the member states.
Establish collaborations with other EOSCINFRA-05(b) projects are in progress:
- EOSC-Nordic (Nordic EU countries),
- NIO4OS-Europe (South-East EU countries),
- EOSC-Synbergy (Western EU countries + Brazil)
- EOSC-Pillar (South EU countries)
A Collaboration Agreements with the projects involved in the INFRAEOSC-05 is foreseen. This is expected by the EC.
Collaborations with FAIRsFAIR and EOSCSecreteriat to improve the long-term exploitation.
Cooperation with the EOSC Governance bodies (Architecture WG). Inputs by WP2/3 are expected by the end of Dec.
Building EOSC (Christian Cuciniello, EC PO of the ExPaNDS project)
EOSC vision: EC if fostering the enabling of digital transformation of research towards more data-intensive, collaborative and cross-disciplinary science. The main recommendations from EC: EOSC has to be open and flexible by design to onboard new services/communities.
First proposal of the EOSC vision was published in 2016, and implemented in the 2018-2020 grants. Last Nov. 2019 in Vienna it was agreed the governance to implement EOSC from the bottom-up approach.
EOSC Governance in 2019-2020:
The core of the Governance is the Executive Board.
5 Working Groups have been created to propose concrete implementation:
- Rules of Participation
- EOSC Landscape: provide intelligences in terms of decision to take and services
- Architecture: to establish flexible federation
- FAIR: this is the common language to speak.
- Sustainability: How we can sustain EOSC. EU (and member states) is(are) willing to contribute but we have to create business models and legal entities to guarantee collaboration and a policies harmonization within the member states.
By the end of 2020 the EC will evaluate the core of EOSC.
Key issues to face by the end of 2020:
1.) A legal entity and governance model 2.) Financial models 3.) Rules of Participation 4.) Compatibility with national initiatives 5.) EOSC portal 6.) FAIR digital object 7.) Expand the user base 8.) Understand the role of private sector
ExPaNDS in the European Landscape (Mirijam Van Daalen, PSI)
Data is the core of the project. Data policy regulates the data workflow in the research lifecycle. With the recent changing landscape to Open Data Access, scientific data are more and more considered publications.
This implies that H2020 funded projects have to prepare their Data Management Plans to describe how data sets produced during the projects lifetime can be made open and reusable for users.
The ExPaNDS project will rely on the following outcomes produced during the past projects/collaborations:
- A data policy framework for P&N was defined. This policy is currently been used by different facilities.
- This framework will be used as input for WP2.
- MSciCAT and iCAT are the metadata catalogues which will used as input for WP3
- Umbrella Federated Identity for P&N facilities for secure access.
- CALISSOplus => Data Analysis as a service (DaaS) will be used by WP4
These outcomes will be the base for ExPaNDS. ExPaNDS will integrate these services for EOSC
PaNOSC and ExPaNDS (Andy Gotz, ESFR)
PaNOSC and ExPaNDS are part of a process.
PaNOSC can share experiences with the ExPaNDS project in different topics
What PaNOSC is doing in …
1.) Data Policies: preparing a handbook with the lessons learnt
2.) FAIR data API development (WP3):
6 data catalogues with different APIs and UIs.
3.) (WP4) Data Analysis: Jupyter notebooks as a standard services, VISA Remote desktop, simulation services (ViNYL), …
4.) AAI: How to integrate UmbrellaID in EOSC ?
The PaNOSC Steering Committee agreed to use the solution provided by GEANT.
In October GEANT has to move the Umbrella to eduTEAM.
5.) Testing different Data Transfer (STFC, GlobusOnLine, Onedata, dCache and WebDAV)
6.) Sustainability: added the PUMA publication metrics.
It takes the info from the Google Scholar, …, and retrieve which institute is using the publication.
You can get the impact factor for institute, etc.
7.) e-learning platform: https://www.e-neutrons.org/
It will be further extended to include Jupyter and other P&N tools.
WP1 - Management and Sustainability (DESY)
Goal: Implement the project’s governance and management structure, undertaking overall project administration to ensure successful achievement of the project’s objectives. Address sustainability of the EOSC provided services.
EGI contributions in WP1 (12 PMs)
→ Task T1.5: Coordination with PaNOSC and EOSC
This task synchronizes activities of ExPaNDS with EOSC structures in general and PaNOSC in particular. Activities include, but are not limited to:
- Participating in the EOSC Stakeholder Forum
- Working with EOSC technical working groups in the areas of the ExPaNDS work packages
- Working with the EOSC Executive Board to provide EOSC Compliant services
- Liaising with other successful projects in INFRAEOSC-05b to coordinate their work in developing the EOSC
- Alignment of the general architecture of the ExPaNDS services with the EOSC architecture including EOSC portals, EOSC Marketplace etc.
WP2 - Enabling FAIR data (UKRI, Brian Matthew)
Goal: Enabling FAIR data for national RIs. Extend and deepen the adoption and use of FAIR data principles within the Photon and Neutron community to allow publication and access of national RI data and services within the EOSC.
Expand the adoption and the use of FAIR data principles within the PaN community.
The work package will work closely with FAIRsFAIR.
The outcome of this WP will be a framework of policies, practises and guidelines to enable FAIR best practice for Photon and Neutron science.
WP3 - EOSC data catalogue services (PSI, Alun Ashton)
Goal: EOSC data catalogue services for EU Photon and Neutron national Research Infrastructures. Deliver EOSC data catalogue services for RIs to provide access as a one-stop-shop for Photon and Neutron users, academics and the general public to find and exploit research data.
- Evaluate the current status of metadata catalogues at national RIs and perform a gap analysis
- Develop baseline standards for Metadata Catalogues based on harmonised policies (cf. WP2) to make Photon and Neutron data FAIR
- Define baseline standards for APIs linking data catalogues to data analysis platforms (WP4)
- Coordinate the deployment at national RIs to capture metadata in a FAIR enabling way
- Implement standards that enable the association of FAIR data to scientific discoveries through links to publications as defined in WP2
- Provide technical documentation to WP5 for training the wider community of developers and scientists to ensure sustainability
WARNING: To be clarified EGI role in WP3.
EGI is listed as one of the WP3 partners with 9PMs but in practice it’s not mapped in any of WP3 tasks. During the WP3 breakout meeting I’ve proposed for EGI to be involved in the following tasks:
Task T3.5 - “Integrate metadata catalogue services into EOSC”
The different metadata catalogues will be integrated into the PaNOSC federated metadata catalogue and provided as a service on EOSC-hub.
EGI can facilitate the onboarding of the federated metadata catalogues services in the EOSC Portal and Marketplace. Share the rules of participation for service providers interested to join EOSC and collect feedback
Task T3.6 - “Document and provide technical information on systems, APIs and user interfaces”
EGI can contribute with the preparation of the training materials and documentations.
WP4 - EOSC data analysis services (Anton Barty, DESY)
Goal: EOSC data analysis services for Photon and Neutron national RIs:
Provide the coordination, adaption, and alignment of existing data analysis services at national RIs within the EOSC. The services delivered will provide users, academics and the public with the ability to run analysis workflows against the EOSC-aligned data services.
The main focus of this work package will therefore be the coordination, adaption, and alignment of existing data analysis services at national RIs with the new EOSC services available via the EOSC Service Catalogue and EOSC Portal
WP4 aims to ro run pre-defined pipelines in EOSC.
Need to further discuss with Anton
WP5 - Training (Nazarè Guiviard, Soleil)
Goal: Training activities through EOSC platforms:
- Organise workshops and deliver training materials through the e-learning platforms made available on the EOSC.
- Training will be organised in cooperation with EOSC related activities.
- Training will address: service provision, user training in FAIR principles, data stewardship, data management and data analysis services integrated into the EOSC.
- The training will foster faster adoption of best practices by an enlarged number of Photon and Neutron users.
Promote the outcome of the catalogues and services provided by ExPaNDS for EOSC
Set an e-learning platform (developed by PaNOSC)
→ In WP5 it is also proposed to use an Open edX e-learning platform maintained by EGI.
Disseminate training material for both staff and users of the RIs
Train users to make data Open and FAIR (link with WP2)
Organize a series of training events on FAIR principles, data stewarships
Already started to discuss with Nazarè about EGI contributions in WP5 but, due to the lack of time, we have to continue in a dedicated telco.
WP6 - Outreach, dissemination, communication (Isabelle Boscaro, DLS)
Goal: Dissemination and Outreach:
Support and promote the ExPaNDS initiative in Europe and beyond and promote Open Data and FAIR data principles to users and RIs.