This is a companion topic to the Broadcast message (below) regarding the end of support for CREAM.
CREAM-CE is a piece of middleware long-used for the submission of High-Throughput Compute workloads to arbitrary compute endpoints. There is not really a drop-in replacement, so @egi-ops has some work to do with the middleware providers to co-ordinate the replacement. We will need as much feedback from sites as possible, since this will have quite a big effect on their operating environment.
We would like to hear from site staff responsible for CREAM-CE’s -
- how are you doing your configuration management?
- What would you prefer to replace CREAM-CE with?
- how would you rate the documentation and support channels of the alternative products?
- What level of support would you expect from EGI Operations and middleware providers
- what functionality of CREAM-CE would you consider a “deal breaker” if lost?
Let’s hear from you…
The CREAM working group has announced that official support for the CREAM-CE component will cease at the end of the EOSC-hub project, i.e. in Dec 2020. To prepare for this, EGI Foundation and CERN are actively working to help to minimise disruption. This will include helping users migrate to alternative solutions, i.e. ARC-CE or HTCondor-CE.
The CREAM working group will be providing full support until the end of 2019, including one minor release already scheduled. During 2020 only security updates will be released.
If you have any concerns or queries, please open a support ticket
EGI Foundation and CERN Operations Teams